Monday, July 25, 2016

2016 Q3 Skin Regimen

I'm back!!! After 2 years of hibernation! I guess many has happened and changed. That includes my skin condition that is pretty much like any other things that we have - it keeps coming back! So I decided to document again my journey.

Last May 2016, I was sent to Hong Kong by my company to conduct a training for our customer there, that means I need to look good and feel good. Apparently, the day before my flight was a wedding of a dear friend, so I needed to wear a makeup. I've had my fear of breaking out afterwards due to high humidity of the place. But anyways, here's the picture. Quite decent but a bit cakey and itchy to say the least. BTW, the left photo was taken around May 2016 (using Canmake's Foundation Powder). So you could imagine the horror of turning into something else. :(



Fast-forward, I survived and flew to Hong Kong the next day. To make the long story short, I only started breaking out on the 3rd day of the trip. Only to realize that my period was about to start on the day of my flight departure, 5 days after arriving in Hong Kong.  Now came June which is my birth month and held a private celebration in our residence with a few close friends. I can't pretty much remember every single detail, but I just remember going back to my favorite dermatologist to help clear my skin impurities (if you know what I mean) few days before party.

Overall, my skin was somehow okay and recovering from the several whiteheads extracted by the doctor herself. Until I noticed that the bumps wouldn't go away and the whiteheads kept coming back every single day and were multiplying in numbers! So I could not resist extracting them every single day using my own tools and hands (which is I know is a NO NO!), but dude it was so awful to look at especially under a white light. After days of research, it seemed like closed comedones. 

So what are they? "Comedones are the skin-coloured, small bumps (papules) frequently found on the forehead and chin of those with acne. A single lesion is a comedo. Open comedones are blackheads; black because of surface pigment (melanin), rather than dirt. Closed comedones are whiteheads; the follicle is completely blocked." Source: Comedonal acne. DermNet NZ

My skin type is oily-sensitive. An hour or two after cleansing, my face gets really oily and sticky especially during summer season. According to my dermatologist, my pores are so small and deep. And this is how I looked like starting the 2nd week of June.



In summary, it was bumpy (though not all are inflamed), flaky, reddish and full of blemishes on both sides. Too awful or gross to look at. But unlike before, I have somehow mastered on how to treat them without consulting an expert since it'll cost me more (without a guarantee too). Over the course of my pimple battle, I learned to go after paraben-free skin care products which are definitely safer to use. What I essentially need is something that will open my pores and thoroughly cleanse the impurities but at the same time would gently renew my skin.

You know the drill (or probably NOT) - Cleanse > {Exfoliate} > Tone > Moisturize > Protect. 

CLEANSE (AM/PM): I went back into using Carrot Soap by Coco Beach because it has natural antibacterial and exfoliating property from carrots alone. I use it for both my face and body (morning and evening). If your skin is too dry, you need to moisturize more. I discovered this gem after our Puerto Galera trip where they produce it themselves. They have an office in Manila where you could do a pickup transaction.

EXFOLIATE (PM): I must admit that that this was somehow an impulsive purchase. It's called Active Charcoal Mask by Origins. Not too bad in all honesty. This charcoal mask is quite good for closed comedones since you really need a skin purifier for those stubborn whiteheads. But it requires a lot of work - you need to wash your face with warm water to open up your pores, so that it could penetrate and wash away those whiteheads. Still thinking about retaining it after this acne battle because it's way too expensive!!!

This one is also a mask called Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Mask by Weil for Origins (too long for a named series) and yes too pricey AGAIN! But what I love about this is that, it liquefies your whiteheads afterwards which is pretty cool (that's how it looked like to me when I tried to extract those bad bumps). The catch is, its serum does the same thing which is cheaper compared to this, if I remember it correctly. Since 2 masks is too much of a work, I'd probably go with the serum. BTW, I use these both every other day.
Also, my dermatologist applied a TCA chemical peel last June on my face that somehow aggravated my skin condition (but I won't blame her because I was asked beforehand), so a week ago I availed a promo rate of Diamond Peel from Skin101. It's a Buy-1-Take-1 promo though I don't think the therapists did it that long for me to say that - it's SULIT! I just needed to exfoliate my skin fast enough by using non-invasive machines.

TONE (AM/PM): Now, this one is a bit tricky. I needed to clear left over impurities after washing my face. Being acne-prone is really difficult so I opted to use Naruko's Tea Tree Control & Blemish series. In comparison to other tea tree oil products, this one contains salicylic acid which is effective in combating bacteria that causes inflammation on affected areas. But I guess, any pimple-fighting toner would do too.

SERUM (PM): As I've read from other blogs, people underestimate the power of serums. Serums are more concentrated and potent in nature thus its fast result. Since Naruko's Tea Tree Oil Serum is out of stock, I needed to find something else that could help renew and rejuvenate my skin. Good thing I found out about A'rin Absolute Renewal Serum. It's made from bitter almonds that produces Mandelic Acid. It also contains antibacterial property that helps fight pimple. But there's more to it, it has the ability to exfoliate your skin without irritating it. It's similar to glycolic peels minus possible irritation (to some if not most). FYI, this one is Made in Taiwan with 10% potency. Other serums can be used in the morning but since this is an exfoliating one, better use it only at night time to avoid burning your skin.

LOTION(s) (AM/PM): Supposedly, there should be spot-on treatments for acne areas only. But I bought a wrong product, instead I just continued using Naruko's Tea Tree Blemish Clear Lotion Precious. It contains 2% salicylic acid which I need in drying up inflamed acnes, and fortunately it never failed me. it does its job really well. 

Next lotion is an additional AHA Lotion for my closed comedones. IKR! Too much, too many, too pricey! But there's no such thing as too many if you are really that desperate in regaining your self confidence. Closed comedones are more difficult to treat because your pores are closed while your face continues to secrete sebum from your glands. And AHA's can soften those and would help you avoid breakouts big time! My dermatologist recommended this brand, Neostrata Exfoliating Lotion. I think it's quite popular and more expensive in other stores because they sell it in big bottles. I also use it in the morning without side effects. Probably because my skin is used to glycolic ingredients. Patch test first before doing the same.

MOISTURIZE/PROTECT (AM): For Normal-Dry skin types, moisturizing is important but for oily people like me, it should be balanced. Look for oil-free, water-based or gel type moisturizers such as this: Avéne Hydrance Optimale. It's a 2-in-1 moisturizer/sunscreen. Also, while trying to heal your skin, lower SPFs are usually non-comedogenic in label which is suited for acne-prone skin like me. Not greasy nor oily (yeah because it's oil-free).

OIL (PM): Don't worry, we're almost done! Before (everything began), I use Argan Oil. It can flatten acne bumps but won't help on closed comedones. So I replaced it with Naruko's Tea Tree Purifying Essential Oil and apply it on affected areas only. Just an additional helper for inflammations.

MASK (PM): This one is really optional but quite helpful if you wanted to look fresh the next day. It has strong whitening ingredients that will instantly make you glow the following morning. It also helps in flattening my pimples. But I won't recommend it if you have closed comedones like me because it shrinks your pores. It can worsen your nightmare while I am just brave enough to include it in my skin regimen, once in a while. Also, it has paraben contents. So sad... :(


And that's it! This is my AFTER photos after the combined efforts of my chosen products and my patience as well. I started using Naruko 2 weeks ago and the improvement is pretty amazing. Then yesterday was my first time using the Mandelic Acid serum that exfoliated most of the darkest blemishes overnight!



I hope to discuss about the products on a more detailed manner the next time. Until then, never give up your hope in regaining your confidence by looking good and feeling good. It takes research, courage and experiment. This has been my decade-long problem and most of the time, it is really depressing to experience. Being a commuter in a polluted area is always a factor.
I will do a recap after a few days to help you memorize things more efficiently. Thanks for your time!!!


Lovelots,
Mhy 

2 comments:

Clint Bennie said...

This is very informative blog. Very impressive and helpful. Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Hi thank you for posting this. I purchase A'RIN serum thru online like you i have oily-sensitive skin. And I'm so curious about serum product will it help my pimples and scar to subside or will it trigger more.

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting